While the thought of hiring a DWI Lawyer in Houston can feel overwhelming, it is beneficial to know that many professionals in this field are available to consult with you.
What is a DWI?
A DWI is a criminal offense that can lead to a jail sentence and/or a fine. When you are arrested for DWI, the law enforcement officer will ask you several questions. These include your blood-alcohol level (BAL) and whether or not you were driving while impaired. If you answer yes to either question, you may be facing a criminal charge.
If you are convicted of DWI, your driver’s license may be revoked and you may face other penalties. The severity of your punishment will depend on your BAL level at the time of your arrest and whether or not you were driving while impaired.
If you are arrested for DWI, it is important to have an experienced lawyer on your side. A lawyer can help protect your rights and ensure that the evidence against you is fair.
How to Have a DWI Lawyer in Houston
If you are facing a DWI charge in Houston, it is important to have an experienced lawyer on your side. A DWI attorney can help you navigate the legal system and protect your rights. Here are some tips for finding an attorney:
1. Find a lawyer who has experience with DWI cases.
2. Ask around – many lawyers have clients who have successfully defended themselves against DWI charges.
3. Interview several lawyers – don’t just choose the first one you meet. Make sure you are comfortable with the lawyer’s approach before signing up.
4. Bring copies of your driver’s license, registration, and proof of insurance to your consultation appointment.
5. Prepare for the interview – be honest about all relevant facts and be prepared to answer questions about the incident that led to your charge.
Why Having a DWI Lawyer Matters
When someone is arrested for driving while intoxicated, the consequences can be serious. If the driver has a prior DWI conviction, the penalties may be even greater. A DWI lawyer can help identify any possible defenses and protect your rights. Here are some reasons why having a DWI lawyer is important:
1. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS: A DWI lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and what will happen during your trial. This knowledge can save you time and money in court.
2. IDENTIFY DEFENSES: A DWI lawyer can identify potential defenses to your charge, such as diminished responsibility or intoxication by drugs or alcohol. If these defenses are successful, you may not have to go to trial at all.
3. PROTECT YOUR IMMUNITY: If you are acquitted of DUI, your record may still show that you were charged with a crime. Having a DWI lawyer can help protect your immunity from future prosecution for DUI-related incidents.
4. PREPARE FOR TPR: A DWI attorney can help prepare for Traffic Probation Revocation hearings (TPR). If convicted of a second DUI offense within seven years of a prior conviction, your license may be revoked and you may be required to undergo alcohol education and/or treatment before receiving it back. A successful TPR defense could result in less severe punishment than if convicted outright of driving while impaired again.
Legal Fees for DWIs
In Houston, DWI offenses are treated seriously. In fact, a DWI conviction can lead to significant legal fees and penalties. If you have been arrested for driving while intoxicated in Houston, it is important to have a DWI lawyer on your side.
Here are some of the legal consequences of a DWI conviction in Houston:
A first DWI offense can result in up to 180 days in jail and a $2,000 fine.
A second DWI offense within 10 years can result in up to two years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
A third or subsequent DWI offense within 10 years can result in up to four years in prison and a $15,000 fine.
Even if you have never been convicted of a DWI before, you may be subject to criminal penalties if you are arrested for driving while intoxicated in Houston. These penalties may include fines, DUI classes, and driver’s license suspension.
Texas Laws Regarding DWIs
In Texas, a DUI is considered a criminal offence and can result in serious consequences, including jail time, fines, and license suspension. If you are charged with a DUI, it is important to have an experienced Appeal Lawyers Houston Texas on your side. Here are some key laws related to DWIs in Texas:
A person who operates a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or any other substance is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
It is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to operate a motor vehicle with any amount of alcohol in their system.
A person who operates a motor vehicle while impaired by drugs is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor. This includes marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine, and heroin.
It is illegal for anyone to drive with an open container of alcohol or any other drug in their system. This includes prescription medications such as Ambien and Vicodin.