All the drugs have their limitations and there are certain conditions or situations where a specific drug cannot be used, and that respective drug becomes a contraindication. It can be due to the
- Inability of the drug to resolve the issue.
- The chances of worsening the existing condition because of the side effects that drug can cause.
- Causing any specific problem due to the strong potential of the development of that problem because of the medical history of the patient etc.
The following article will shed some light on the medical issue of sleep apnea. The reader’s will be able to know that what is sleep apnea and how UK sleeping pills are co-related with sleep apnea.
SLEEPING PILLS (DEFINITION AND TYPES):
Sleeping pills are medicines that are used to cure different types of sleep relate problems one can encounter during his or her lifetime. Sleep cycle is a very complex interplay of hormones, neurotransmitters and external factors and any miss interplay between these three factors can lead to sleep related disturbances that are classified as insomnia. Patients buy sleeping pills UK belonging to different groups to address their sleep related concerns.
Sleeping pills can be broadly classified into three types:
Prescription sleeping pills:
FDA approved list of controlled drugs that can only be procured after getting a prescription from a clinician are prescription pills. The groups that are included in this category are benzodiazepines, non-benzodiazepines, barbiturates and Z-drugs.
Non-prescription sleeping pills:
All the over the counter sleeping pills UK options that are available in the drug stores for which the acquirer does not need to have a prescription fall under this category such as antihistamines (anti-allergic) and melatonin supplements.
Herbal sleeping aids:
Herbal tea that are made with the extract from the plant sources such as flower and certain herbs are in this category. These are organic and relatively safe but not much data is present regarding this category.
WHY SLEEPING PILLS ARE USED?
- The most common cause as the name indicates is to cure insomnia. Different forms of insomnia such as acute insomnia and chronic insomnia. Transitional insomnia and it cures all the complains regarding the struggles to all asleep and the interrupted sleep pattern that affects the overall sleep quality.
- Anxiety and panic related disorders.
- Restless leg syndrome.
- Sleeping pills are use pre-operatively to calm down the patient and help the patient have a sound sleep.
- To help the individuals struggling with substance and drug withdrawal syndrome.
HOW DO SLEEPING PILLS WORK?
Sleeping pills are centrally acting drugs and they enhance the affinity of the inhibitory neurotransmitters to their receptor sites and by doing so they reduce the overall alertness and activity level of the brain. All this mechanism makes a person drowsy and sedative hence, all the functions of the body slow down and a person feels sleepy and relaxed
Sleep apnea is a condition that is related to the difficulty in breathing in terms that it starts and stops repeatedly when one is asleep that leads to the fluctuations in oxygen saturation levels of the blood. It can be because of the functional obstruction (obstructive sleep apnea) or neurological cause (central sleep apnea) or a complex one which is combination of both.
CAUSES OF SLEEP APNEA:
- Excessive daytime sleepiness.
- Loud snoring.
- Episodes of stopped breathing during sleep.
- Gasping or choking.
- Dry mouth or a sore throat.
- Morning headache.
- Difficulty concentrating during the day.
RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN SLEEPING PILLS AND SLEEP APNEA:
As discussed earlier that sleeping pill cause relaxation of the muscles and relative suppression of the systems of the body. So as the muscles relax it also relaxes the breathing muscles and if you have sleep apnea then it will get worse. So, it is highly discouraged to buy sleeping pills online if you have any breathing difficulty as it will get worsened.
HOW TO MANAGE TAKING SLEEPING PILLS IF YOU HAVE SLEEP APNEA:
These are some point that one should do:
- Never self-medicate.
- If you have any breath difficulty do not use medicine till proper examination and diagnosis is done.
- Consider psychotherapies as first line of management as it does not involve any medications.
- If using sleeping pills, then under strict supervision and shortest possible duration.
- Sleeping on the sides improves breathing.
- Cut down alcohol specially before bedtime
- Shed the extra kilos.
- Oral appliances can also help in maintaining the patency of the airways thus, helping the sleep apnea cases.