Good & Bad Diets Foods for Diabetics – The problem of diabetes has become quite common these days. Maintaining the body’s blood sugar level is very important in the case of diabetes. In such a situation, sugar patients can control their blood sugar level by taking a balanced diet. There are two types of diabetes – type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes.
Type 1 Diabetes: Type 1 diabetes can occur at any age. It is found in children or youth. It is an autoimmune disease. In this, the body stops making insulin. The cells of the body attack and destroy the pancreatic cells that produce insulin. Type 1 diabetes can occur at an early age or even from birth.
Type 2 Diabetes: There can be many reasons for type 2 diabetes. The main reason for this is obesity, hypertension and a poor lifestyle. In this, less amount of insulin is made in the body. Either insulin is produced less in the body, or the body cells are not sensitive to insulin. Type 2 diabetes is found primarily in adults.
If you are a patient of type 2 diabetes, then let us know what you should and should not eat to reduce blood sugar levels and lead a healthy life.
See Also – Exercising Can Increase Your Age
Foods To Eat With Type 2 Diabetes
Patients with type 2 diabetes should consume such things in which very high nutrients such as fibre, vitamins, and minerals. Apart from this, you must include such things in your diet in which healthy fat is found. This is because healthy fat helps maintain the cholesterol level in the body.
Type 2 diabetes patients should include these things in their diet-
- Fruits (apples, oranges, berries, melons, peaches)
- Vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, cucumber etc.)
- Whole grains (quinoa, oats, brown rice, etc.)
- Legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas)
- Nuts (almonds, walnuts, pistachios, cashews)
- Seeds (chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds)
- Protein-rich items (seafood, tofu, low-fat red meat, etc.)
- Black Coffee, Slight Tea, Vegetable Juice
Foods Not To Eat With Type 2 Diabetes
If you have type 2 diabetes, there are many things that you should not eat.
Total fat dairy products (fat milk, butter, cheese)
- Sweets (candies, cookies, sweets, baked goods, ice creams)
- Sweetened beverages (juice, soda, sweet tea, sports drinks)
- Sweeteners (table sugar, brown sugar, honey, maple syrup)
- Processed food (chips, processed meats, microwaved popcorn)
- Trans Fats (Fried Foods, Dairy-Free Coffee Creamers, etc.)
Type 2 Diabetes Carb Counting
Patients with type 2 diabetes can lower their blood sugar levels by consuming limited carbs. In such a situation, you must consider how many carbs you are taking in the meal. Let us know which things contain carbohydrates-
- Wheat, White Rice etc.
- Dried beans, Pulses and other legumes
- Potatoes and other starchy foods
- Fruits and Fruit Juice
- Milk and Yogurt (Yogurt)
- Processed Snacks
Keto Diet In Type 2 Diabetes
The Keto diet is a low carb diet emphasising foods rich in proteins and fats. Such as meat, chicken, seafood, eggs, cheese, nuts and seeds. The keto diet includes non-starchy vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale and other leafy vegetables.
It excludes high-carb items, including grains, dry beans, root vegetables, fruits and sweets. It has been revealed in some reports that a low carb diet helps in controlling blood sugar levels in diabetic patients. In addition, cholesterol levels can also be improved by this.
According to a study conducted in the year 2018, consuming a low carb diet can improve blood sugar levels and reduce insulin resistance.
See Also – Side Effects of Sugar Free Foods