Do you think that you need chilled water treatment? If your cooling tower has biofilm, negative things are already taking place. Your HVAC system is undoubtedly becoming less effective, which costs you money, but it’s also likely that deeper problems are hiding behind the filth.
Biofilm, which is also often called bio slime, is essentially a protein and polysaccharide matrix generated by microbes as a means of adhering to surfaces and defending themselves from potentially harmful substances. If you’ve ever touched this matrix, which scientists refer to as EPS (extracellular polymeric substances), you could just refer to it as slime.
You should be worried about biofilms because they often have some intriguing characteristics, especially in cooling towers.
These are a few of them:
- Due to its exceptional insulation capabilities, biofilm significantly slows down heat transfer. Biofilm hinders heat transmission in cooling towers much more than scale deposition does!
- Microorganisms create a biofilm. Some of these microbes may be rather unpleasant, and they create the biofilm for it to support their growth within or beneath it. Your HVAC system may experience considerable corrosion as a result of some sulfite-reducing bacteria. To protect itself, legionella in a cooling tower creates a biofilm. Legionella is the bacteria that causes Legionnaires’ disease, an evil and possibly fatal type of pneumonia.
- Biofilms are very resistant to biocides because of their physiochemical characteristics. This implies that generally speaking, cleaning your cooling tower requires more than just boosting the biocide level in your water treatment system.
Your cooling tower’s biofilm will cost you money.
Although each circumstance and cooling tower system is unique, we can estimate the costs associated with not removing the biofilm from your tower system.
Biofilm is a fantastic insulator, as we have said. Your chiller tubing will lose efficiency if biofilm establishes itself there. Efficiency can be decreased by more than 10% with a biofilm layer that is less than a fifth of a millimeter thick! This might result in an energy loss of tens of thousands of dollars in a chiller system with a 1000-ton capacity.
Possible severe harm:
Some biofilms are brought on by bacteria that reduce sulfites or deposit iron. These bacteria can corrode steel. Sulfite-reducing bacteria have been known to cause severe cases of steel tube plates in chillers that were less than 18 months old to be destroyed. These cases included 1-inch thick steel tube plates. Two chillers had to be completely re-tubed at a cost to the plant. The building was not ready for the high expense of upkeep or the ensuing downtime.
Deep and unnecessary liabilities:
Biofilms in your tower may be a sign of a far more serious problem, such as a water-borne disease. One of the most dangerous in this group is legionella.
The potentially fatal pneumonia known as Legionnaires’ Disease is brought on by the Legionella bacterium. You have a potentially enormous burden on your hands if your tower is situated close enough to a populated region to transmit mist there.
Anyone with a weakened immune system is considerably more likely to contract Legionnaires’ Disease from a contaminated cooling tower. The extremely young, the very elderly, or someone who is already battling an illness is examples of these. Caretakers of cooling towers at nursing homes or hospitals need to be constantly vigilant for the presence of Legionella in their systems.
How to clean your cooling tower of biofilm?
When battling biofilm in your cooling tower system, you have a lot of choices to take into account. Increasing your biocides alone is typically insufficient, and in rare situations, it could even be detrimental.
Although it’s usually best to avoid biofilm formation in the first place, there are a few things you may take if you think you might have a problem.
- Find out whether there could be an issue first. A biofilm might not exist just because you cannot see it. Even though the water in your cooling tower is entirely clean, you can still be experiencing problems. You might try donning a rubber glove and slipping your hand just below the surface of the water in the basin of your cooling tower. You likely have a biofilm issue if it feels slippery or sticky.
- Inform the company providing your water treatment services of the probable problem. They frequently can modify the water treatment plan to stop more issues. They could also be able to clean your entire system for you.
- Often, to successfully eradicate biofilm, it must be physically disturbed or broken apart. That suggests that a physical cleaning may be necessary. To assess your particular circumstance, get in touch with a reliable HVAC cleaning company in your neighborhood. Ensure that they adhere to all safety procedures.
- Modern techniques are available to bring disinfection close to being 100% effective. These tools are available to several leading HVAC cleaning companies and some cutting-edge water treatment service providers. One such technique is the use of chlorine dioxide, which has been demonstrated to be one of the best and least harmful means of advanced disinfection currently accessible; however, be careful to educate yourself on the many chlorine dioxide disinfections that are available. In general, the best approach to inject chlorine dioxide into your system is to have your vendor create it on-site at your facility. Some techniques of chlorine dioxide disinfection perform far better than others, some ways are better and safer than others.
How should you pick the best industrial cleaning company for your company?
Cleanliness with multi surface disinfectant is essential for a productive and safe work environment, regardless of whether your place of business is an office building, warehouse, or factory.
You may select from a variety of industrial cleaning services and businesses that can assist you in keeping your workspace clean. Some, nonetheless, are superior to others. You need a dependable and secure cleaning service for your commercial property. While any business may assert that it upholds these principles, few follow through.
The duration of their operation should be taken into account while choosing which industrial cleaning service to hire. An industrial cleaning services provider will have more references and experience the longer it has been in business.
Make sure the janitorial personnel that will be working in your place of business has expertise in cleaning conditions that are comparable to yours. >>>Read More<<<