Introduction: Has the global pandemic made you start working from home? Many companies did not realise the efficiency of remote working until now. As the COVID 19 pandemic pushed us into our homes we began to appreciate remote working more than ever.
That brings us to the importance of having a proper office set up in the comfort of our house. If you have been working sloppily lying on a bed or couch until now, it is time to upgrade yourself. Having a dedicated office space will boost productivity.
How to build practical yet modern office space in your home is the question. We have tried to make it easy by giving you some tips in this regard. Whether building a new space or opting for an existing home office renovation, these tips will come in handy.
Some incredibly inspiring ideas for building an office space in your house –
Before you begin with the renovation work, look for several design inspirations. It will help you to have a layout of the kind of office set-up you are anticipating. Then you can easily convey your ideas to your contractors. Hiring contractors for creating only a work area can be expensive.
Try to incorporate the office space remodelling with other household renovations to save a few bucks. Contractors will be more interested in doing a living space or toilet makeover Singapore along with the office. Focus on the essentials like how much space you want to dedicate, the type of desk, chairs, shelving and likewise. Everything you select should be in tune with your personal and work preferences.
We often emphasise aesthetics when purchasing any new furniture piece. However, do not compromise the function for the form while buying any office furniture. Investing in a good quality desk and ergonomic chair is a must. Never shy away from spending a bit more to get the best quality.
Here are some design ideas to help you achieve an attractive office decor –
- If you have enough space, leave a room for a lounge area. This will allow you to relax and have a cup of coffee while taking a break from work. Visitors can also have a seat in this lounge area. Garner some comfortable couches or chairs to render a cosy vibe.
- Pick a window and put the whole set-up in front of that. Make sure the window you choose has a nice view. The outside view will help you to relieve stress while you sit through your job.
- It is not ideal to have an office space in your bedroom. It may hamper your sleep schedule and lead to overwork. However, in case you cannot relocate it while getting your home office renovation, opt for a transitional space.
- Having enough storage space is an absolute must-have in any office setup. Otherwise, you will end up overloading your desk making it look messy. From stationaries to files, the endless inventory of stuff will require ample storage to fit in. Custom-made shelves will be a fantastic addition to serve the purpose. The shelf styles will also enhance the decor of the office space as a bonus.
- Try to incorporate as many multifunctional pieces as you can to provide amenities. Always maintain a clean and neat look by hiding any hanging cords. Install some hanging shelves to put decorative items on top of that. Bring in some greenery by putting some indoor plants around the office area.
- Make your home office renovation truly worthwhile by adding a unique personal touch. Hang some artwork or frame some memories that will reflect your personality.
How to create an impressive home office on a budget?
Renovations are always costly as you are moulding an existing space or structure into something else. But do not let that dishearten you. With some easy tips, it is possible to achieve the desired outcome by staying without blowing the budget.
- Plan everything beforehand –
Planning everything is the key to maintaining a budget. By doing this you can easily foresee future expenses and act accordingly. Evaluate your current office set-up and its shortcomings before starting your home office renovation. If you are starting from scratch, start by listing down the prerequisites of office spaces.
- Have a little flexible budget –
Rather than having very little to no flexibility in your budget, try to make room for little extra expenses. Most of the time it never goes the way one plans it from the beginning. You can never know what last-minute situation will arise. It could be anything from a shortage of material to a sudden change of plans. Keeping a margin of 2 to 3% extra cost is ideal to be on the safe side.
- Getting a loan is not a bad idea –
If you are afraid that you don’t have enough cash to start the renovation process, take a loan. Do not discourage yourself from acquiring your dream office space for lack of liquid money. Different banks give out renovation loans that will help build your office space.
- Push the high-priority items to the top of the list –
One of the easiest ways of reducing expenses is to prioritise things. There is a difference between the things you want and the things you need. The extremely necessary items should make the top of the list. Once you have listed down every item you need you can evaluate the cost and fix a budget. If it exceeds the budget you will know exactly where to curb the cost.
- Focus on upcycling or reusing rather than buying everything new –
Try to put your existing furniture to good use before buying any new piece. Upcycling or recycling things are in vogue and can save a lot of money. Strip down the existing surface of an old desk. Laminate it with some veneers to make it look brand new. Look around you to find marketplaces where you can purchase second-hand stuff. Sometimes you can even get a brand new item for half of the showroom price from such markets.
- Have the office equipment on rent –
If you are running on a tight budget it is better to rent a few things out rather than buying every single piece. An office set-up is incomplete without electronic devices like computers, scanners, printers and so on.
These items come expensive and buying every single thing can exceed your budget. It is better to opt for a rental service or second-hand purchase to save some money. Also, while decluttering try to sell out or send to recycling outlets the equipment you no longer use.
- Use the lights in your favour –
One of the easiest ways to jazz up any space or corner is to use proper lighting. Having enough source of natural light in your office space is ideal but artificial lights can set the mood right. Select a style depending on the theme of your office decor.
Add some spotlight to focus on a particular element. Install some lights right above the work desk. Add ambient lighting to perk up the overall space. Keep in mind to always use energy-efficient lights and bulbs instead of fluorescent ones.
We hope these tips will come in handy in your future home office renovation. It is important to focus on aesthetics to make the office space look appealing. However, making sure to have a design and plan that is functional is also significant. With these tips, you will successfully achieve the office you always wanted.
Hi! I’ve been following your website for a long time now and finally
got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Houston Tx!
Just wanted to tell you keep up the excellent work!